If keeping your hair straight sometimes feels like rocket science, you are not alone. Most women with kinky hair have to resort to blowouts and chemical treatments to rein in their rebellious mane. But these treatments often come with the risk of damaging your hair not to mention that the costs can add up pretty quickly too.
A hair straightening brush provides an easy and convenient way to tame your hair without spending money on regular blowouts and treatments.
To help you get started on finding the right straightening brush for your hair, we compared among the top ones in the market and ended up with the following 5 best picks.
Best hair straightening brush reviews
1. BaByliss Diamond Heated Smoothing and Straightening Brush
The BaByliss brush uses two methods to get your hair silky smooth. The first is the use of heated diamond-ceramic fins. As they pass through your hair, the heat smoothens out any kinks and frizz. The second is ionic frizz control. The brush releases ions that help straighten out your hair quicker and more effectively.
- Three heat settings.
- Ion conditioning to achieve a silky finish.
- Easy to use.
- Several users say it a bit challenging to brush the ends of their hair.
2. Remington Sleek and Smooth Ceramic Straightening Brush
This brush comes with firm bristles that work magic on hard-to-manage curly hair. With three heat settings, you can set the level you are most comfortable with. The brush straightens your frizzy curls in no time.
- Equipped with Keratin and Macadamia protective technology to prevent hair damage.
- Easy to use brush head.
- May feel a bit heavy in your hand. It can be quite tiring to use it especially if you have thick hair.
3. DAFNI Hair Straightening Brush
This brush offers more protection and better straightening than traditional blow dryers and flat irons. The ceramic brush provide faster hair straightening with better results and more safety.
- Easy to use with fast results. If your mornings tend to be busy and hectic, the Dafni ceramic brush can get your messy hair straight in five minutes or less.
- Includes various safety mechanisms including constant heat levels and auto shut off.
- Heats up quickly for faster straightening.
- A bit difficult to use on thick hair.
4. AsaVea Hair Straightener Brush
Twice as fast as a flat iron, the AsaVea hair straightening brush delivers a silky smooth finish with little effort. It comes with seven different heat settings to suit different types of hair. So whether you have thin or thick hair, the results are just as good.
For hair protection, the brush operates at a constant heat level. Furthermore, it is designed with materials that protect your head or hand from scalding.
- Comes with several safety features.
- Easy to use with quick results.
- Ideal for all hair types.
- It can be a bit challenging to brush the ends of your hair.
5. AsaVea Ceramic Hair Straightener
This hair straightening brush comes in handy when you are short of time. It heats up in an instant, allowing you to get to work on your hair immediately you switch it on. As you move it around your head, the chord rotates with you, ensuring that it does not tangle and making the brushing process much easier.
- Has a temperature lock to prevent any accidental changes to temperature settings.
- Uses ion conditioning to add a smooth shine to your hair.
- Perfect for different hair types and thicknesses.
- The brush is slightly smaller than most. Thus it takes a bit more time to finish straightening your hair.
Hair straightening brush buying guide
Hair straightening brushes have become increasingly popular as people become more concerned about the risk of damaging their hair with blowouts and flat irons.
As you make the switch to a safer and better option, keep in mind that not all hair straightening brushes are good buys. Some work better than others and are safer to use too. Here are the most important things to keep in mind as you shop for the best hair straightening brush.
1. The bristles
The bristles play a big role in determining how good a brush is in straightening hair. Some bristles are too weak and tend to fall of easily. Others can actually cause hair breakage.
Look for a brush with firm bristles that can easily handle all types of hair including the thick types. Additionally, check that the tips are soft to avoid injuring your scalp.
2. Heating technology
This is the most important aspect of the brush. The heat does most of the straightening work, ensuring that curls and kinks are easily smoothened out.
The best brushes are those that offer adequate heat protection to protect your hair from damage. Some of the safety features to look for include constant heat levels, changeable heat settings and scalding protection.
3. Ease of use
One way to tell whether a brush is easy to use is by looking at the handle. Does it fit easily into your hand? Is it cushioned?
If you are going to be working on your hair for 5-10 minutes, you want something that you can hold for a prolonged period. You should also check that the brush itself is not too heavy as it can tire you out quickly especially if you have thick hair.
Frequently asked questions
Q: Are hair straightening brushes safe for my hair?
A: All heat-based treatments cause some degree of hair damage. But hair straightening brushes are much safer compared to blow dryers and flat irons. There are more safety mechanisms in place to reduce hair damage.
Q: Can hair straightening brushes be used on any hair type?
A: Usually, yes. But some brushes may be less effective for certain types of hair. For example, some brushes do not do so well when used on thick hair while others falter when it comes to thin hair. See what other customers are saying to decide whether a certain brush is right for you.
Q: Can I use a hair straightening brush on wet hair?
A: Most manufacturers have strict instructions about not using their brushes on wet hair. Not only is it a bad idea to apply heat on wet hair, the brush is an electrical product and a safety risk if it interacts with moisture.