Micro loop hair extensions, also known as micro ring or micro bead extensions are basically distinct sections of real hair with plastic hooks at the root. These types of hair extensions are a popular choice among those looking for a long-term solution to provide length, thickness, volume, texture and add colour to their hair.
They come in varying lengths and shades and are suitable for all hair types. They are secured to your natural hair with the help of a small loop or ring that is slipped up the strands of your hair until it is very close to the scalp. The loop is then pressed close, securing the extension to your hair without the need for adhesive, glue, heat or solvent.
The result is extremely secure, non-damaging, natural-looking and enduring hair. This type of hair extensions are considered to be the best form of extensions. They look natural even in the finest hair.
They are also particularly long-lasting and usually last 4 to 6 months without needing any maintenance. Best of all, they can be fitted to hair as short as 4 inches. Read on to learn more in our comprehensive micro loop hair extensions review.
How long does it take to fit micro loop extensions?
A full head of micro loop hair extensions can be fitted in approximately 1 to 2 hours. Keep in mind that other hair extensions can take up to 5 hours to attach. So you can see how efficient micro loop extensions can be as they are far much quicker and cost less.
It might be tempting to try and cut the costs by fitting the extensions by yourself at home. After all, the extensions cost upwards of £500. If you think you can fit the extensions on your own, go ahead.
However, for you to get the best results and achieve longevity while avoiding unnecessary damage to your hair, you should consider going to a professional salon. A qualified stylist will use their experience to ensure you get correct positioning. Getting the right positioning will ensure the extensions last the longest possible time.
How long do micro loop hair extensions last?
With the right maintenance, micro loop hair extensions can last from 4 to 6 months. Natural hair has oil from the scalp that keeps it soft, supple and healthy. Extensions do not have this, so you must moisturise as often as possible for longer lasting extensions. Basically, how long your micro loop extensions last has a lot to do with how they are washed, dried, moisturised and combed.
How much do they cost?
A full head of hair starts from approximately £500 depending on the amount and length of extensions required.
How to properly maintain your extensions
Micro loop hair extensions, regardless of how well they are fitted or how fine the quality of the extensions are, still require proper maintenance so that they can last 4 months and beyond. As you can see, they are quite expensive, so you’ll naturally want to ensure you take every measure to preserve their appearance and longevity.
We suggest a 5 to 6-week salon maintenance appointment. This is because new hair continually grows and part of the salon maintenance process is to open the loops, comb out any loose hair, then re-position the loop closer to the scalp approximately 1cm from the root of your hair. Salon maintenance takes about 30 minutes and starts from £50.
The time required will depend on how well you have maintained the extensions. Here are some ways to properly maintain your micro loop hair extensions:
- Avoid swimming: Long periods of soaking in water, plus exposure to chlorine, is not ideal for micro loop extensions. If you must swim, we recommend you get a protective cap that will shield the extensions against chemicals present in the pool. As soon as you get out of the water, wash your hair and dry it thoroughly.
- Brush your hair regularly: Brushing your hair on a regular basis will help you avoid tangles. Firmly take hold of your hair on one side and begin brushing gently from the ends. Holding it will ensure you’re not putting too much strain while detangling. Gradually work your way up until you comb the whole head. Be careful not to brush too close to the loop to avoid pulling it out.
- Tie your hair while you sleep: Tie your hair or plait it loosely while you sleep or when you do tasking activities where your hair might get caught on something. Again, this to avoid the formation of tangles.
How to wash your extensions
While you shower, start by combing your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Adjust water pressure such that the water cannot damage or pull out your extensions. Step into the shower with your hair hanging naturally.
Apply a good shampoo and gently massage your hair in a vertical motion to keep the strands aligned. Ensure that no shampoo remains after you rinse your hair. Finally, apply a quality conditioner so that your hair stays protected throughout the day, but take care not apply conditioner to the roots of your hair.
How to style your hair while wearing extensions
Styling your hair while wearing extensions is not difficult. Just make sure to use a wide-toothed comb and gently comb from the tips all the way to the scalp. Avoid hitting the loops while combing, and should the loops get detached accidentally, you can visit the salon to get them reaffixed.
Pros and Cons of micro loop hair extensions
- The extensions do not require any adhesive, glue or heat, and look good even with the finest hair.
- They come in varying lengths and shades and are suitable for all hair types.
- The extensions last from 4 to 6 months, when properly maintained.
- They are very secure, non-damaging and natural looking.
- They are expensive.
- Loops/rings can feel odd against your scalp when sleeping for the first time.
- Proper maintenance is needed to preserve their appearance and longevity.
Micro loop hair extensions are an appropriate choice if you want longer, fuller hair that will last for a long time. With proper care and maintenance, you can extend the life of your micro loop extensions while enjoying the volume and beauty that comes with it. All the best with your new look!
Where to buy?
- Amazon UK: >> Click here to see today’s price