If you haven’t been blessed with thick, lustrous hair which is bouncing with life and vitality, you may find yourself getting despondent with your hair. Having limp, lifeless hair can be a real drag – and it can be quite hard to disguise the fact that your hair has no body. I bet you’re searching for answers and how to get volume in your hair overnight. You are not alone!
We have spent a long time finding out the best ways to add bounce to your bonce, and have identified quite a few ways to do it. Read on to learn more.
What gives hair volume
Having a build up of product; having hair that is fine, limp or greasy; and having hair that is prone to thinning, can all contribute to a lack of volume.
In order to remove these problems, you need to do the opposite things – reduce the amount of product build up; make sure your hair does not succumb to grease; and ensure that your hair is as thick and strong as it can possibly be.
All these things may sound like an impossible task, but there are definitely ways that you can increase the volume in your hair, without having to resort to extensions or a wig!
Natural volumising products
You don’t have to fill your hair with chemicals, or spend hours at the salon to get yourself some volume – you can use products that you have at home to give your tresses some good volume:
A. Corn starch and rice flour
Mix two tablespoons each of rice flour and corn starch together with 2-3 drops of Rosemary essential oil. Place this mixture into a salt shaker and apply to the roots of your hair. This gives instant volume – just don’t sprinkle too much, or you will run the risk of looking like you’ve gone grey overnight!
B. Sea salt and coconut oil
Combine one tablespoon of sea salt with one cup of hot water, and stir in one tablespoon of coconut oil until the oil has melted. Spray the contents into your hair, and you will find that the salt adds some good volume while the oil gives your hair a lovely shine.
C. Juices and cider vinegar
Stir together a cup of apple cider vinegar with the juices of half an orange and half a lemon. Apply the mixture to dry hair and comb it through, then let it sit on your hair for 20 minutes before you wash it out as normal. This mixture is very acidic and will remove the build up of product and grease in your hair, to release your natural volume and shine.
Another good home tip, if you want to go down the natural route, is to avoid all shampoos that contain sulphates. These unnecessary chemicals will strip your hair of its natural oils, and can contribute to your hair becoming damaged, limp and lifeless.
How to get volume in your hair overnight
The simplest solutions sometimes really are the best:
- Change your parting. Your hair probably has a place where it more comfortably falls, and staying in this style for the rest of time can lead to limpness issues. Flip your parting to the opposite side – or to one side or the other if you have a centre parting – to create some instant volume at the crown. It is best to work on this style when your hair is wet, and add some hair spray to keep it in place, otherwise it will automatically go back to where it naturally falls.
- Dry your hair upside down. Whether you use a blow dryer or a brush or comb, drying your hair upside down will give some excellent volume at the roots. This method works because you are lifting the roots off your scalp, creating the look of instant volume.
- Try a bit of back combing. The 80s look is still pretty hot right now, so you won’t have to worry about making a fashion faux pas! Simply pin up the top section of your hair, then, using a large paddle brush, back comb the underneath sections of your hair, spritzing with hair spray as you go to create a look that lasts. Then, release the top section of your hair and brush it briefly, which will give you a smooth look, with added volume.
- You can add a bit of product to your daily routine to boost your volume; namely a root-boosting lotion. You apply these to the roots of your hair when it is still damp – they do not work on dry hair. Then dry your hair as normal, and enjoy your new look!
- If you’re going down the product route, have a look into volume building shampoos. These are specially designed to clean your hair without weighing it down, which gives your roots a boost and allows your hair to build up its volume in an almost natural way.
- Sleep in a bun. This is a very simple way to give your hair some added volume in the morning. Simply wash your hair, then tie it into a soft, loose bun (ensure that you use a soft elastic, as a tight one will leave unwanted marks). When you take it down in the morning, you should be rewarded with volume, plus some soft waves.
As you can see, you can improve the volume of your hair with a few simple tricks. Try them all, see what works for you – and remember, you heard it here first!