You’re young, you have all your own teeth and hair, you don’t have to worry about going bald till you’re really, really old, right? Well, sadly this is not the case for many guys. Early hair loss is a well known thing, and it can cause a lot of issues in terms of confidence and self-image. But fear not! There are ways to combat it. So how to prevent hair loss for teenage guys?
What causes hair loss?
There are many reasons why young men may lose their hair prematurely:
- Hormonal issues
- Autoimmune disorders
- Thyroid problems
Obviously, a lot of these issues are out of your control and you may think that there’s nothing you can do about them.
Hormones and genetics, obviously, cannot be changed, but you can always take a trip to your GP to discuss premature hair loss, and they can do tests to make sure that your thyroid is working as it should, and discuss any underlying health issues.
Stress is a huge cause of premature hair loss. It’s hard to avoid stress in this day and age, but you can combat it by learning mindfulness techniques such as meditation; taking long walks in the countryside wherever you can, and making sure that you talk through any issues with family, friends or even a therapist.
Diet is a huge issue, and you may be surprised to hear just how much effect what you eat has on your hair! Taking on board foods that are rich in Zinc and B Vitamins is very beneficial for your hair, and there are other things you can do too – make sure that you are eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, and that you are getting enough protein in your diet. The vegetarian and vegan diets that are becoming so popular, although are good for the planet, are playing havoc with our hair! You can get around this as a veggie or vegan, by making sure that you get plenty of pulses such as kidney beans, chick peas and tofu.
Another issue we have these days is excessive colouring and dyeing of our hair, which can leave it weakened and more vulnerable. Try to avoid constantly colouring your hair, especially if you are using harsh bleaching products.
This condition is relatively rare, but it is one cause of premature hair loss. It is caused by the immune system attacking the hair follicles, and currently there is no cure.
This condition can be very difficult to deal with, especially as it often happens in previously healthy individuals, and it can wreak havoc with your self esteem. There are many support groups out there that can help you get through this condition.
If you cannot prevent your hair loss, there are some things you can do to hide it so it is not quite so noticeable:
- Steroid injections and creams can help, either injected into the scalp or applied topically.
- Light treatment, which involves shining ultraviolet light onto the scalp, has had some good results.
- Hair transplanting, where hair cells are transferred to thinning patches on the scalp, have been show to be effective – though the treatment can be painful.
- Artificial hair transplant is another option which is similar to hair transplant, but hairs that are not your own are used.
- Wigs are an option if you have completely lost your hair in a short space of time, and you can find a great many very realistic ones that will make you look as if you still have a full head of hair.
Home remedies for preventing hair loss
Although nothing is 100% guaranteed to work, there are a few things you can try to prevent hair loss for teenage guys:
- Turmeric. This wonder food has been touted as the cure all for just about anything, and there is some evidence that suggests it can help combat hair loss. Take it internally, and make a rinse for your hair by mixing a tablespoon of the powder with water, and massaging into your scalp.
- Coconut oil. Another superfood, this one has a great many properties that are very good for your hair and scalp. Moisturising and antifungal, rubbing this oil into your hair will help your scalp immensely – even if it doesn’t make you look like Rapunzel!
- Rosemary. A herb that is probably lying around in your kitchen somewhere, Rosemary is very good for hair and has been used as a rinse for centuries. It is particularly good for dark hair.
Hair loss, especially if it comes early in life, can be upsetting and can ruin your confidence. Here are a few take away tips for learning how to prevent hair loss for teenage guys:
- Wash your hair with gentle shampoo. Using a shampoo which is rich in Sulphates and SLS are bad for your hair and scalp.
- Use a shampoo suited to your hair type, or try a shampoo recommended for hair loss.
- Protect your hair from excessive heat, so minimise the styling.
- Avoid hairstyles that pull on your hair.
- Style your hair when wet.
- Take a multivitamin or supplements for hair loss.
If you cannot hide your hair loss, you could consider hair extensions, or even a wig. Hair extensions are very widespread these days, and your hairdresser will be able to give you some good tips about which types you will need, and will be able to put them in for you too.
Wigs are also very common, and you can find some very natural looking, realistic wigs that mimic your natural hair so that the world will not notice.
Remember, too, that although you feel like your hair defines you, it is not the be all and end all. Have a look around and you will see a whole host of famous, sexy, successful men who have not one hair on their heads. You could be one of those guys! Embrace your hair, however much or little you have.