Have you ever considered getting rid of all your commercial hair treatment products and going natural? Personally, I have been a fan of natural products for obvious reasons and realised that coconut oil is one of the best things when it comes to my hair.
I think there is no way natural products will turn harmful, and coconut oil is one of the best natural products with hundreds of uses. You must have heard that coconut oil can be used for cooking, moisturising the skin and several other uses but one has come out to top the list of all uses – coconut oil for hair conditioning.
While this oil has been used for internal health benefits, it can be a game changer for treating your hair. Coconut oil is rich in anti-microbial, lauric acid and chain fatty acids that help strengthen the hair while conditioning the scalp. It is a great oil to help regrow your hair and bring those stunning looks back.
Benefits of coconut oil for hair
Coconut has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties that fight infections while keeping a healthy scalp. It is rich in antioxidants that support hair growth while adding volume to your hair without using any chemicals.
Most hair products contain coconut oil as one of the ingredients because of the many benefits it brings. However, these products also contains other ingredients that can damage your hair and be harmful your health.
So what does coconut oil do for your hair? Here are some benefits of coconut oil for hair, hair growth and scalp.
1. Prevents hair breakage
Coconut oil can help your hair grow by preventing breakage. The oil contains fatty acids that combine with the natural proteins found in the hair to prevent hair from breaking. The lauric acid in the coconut oil is very crucial for taking care of hair. Preventing breakage allows the hair to grow longer and firmer.
Coconut oil can make your hair softer and more lustrous than it has ever been. The oil has incredible properties and can penetrate your follicles helping moisturise and condition your hair from outside in. The moisturising effects of the oil help prevent the hair follicles from environmental damage and heat. It helps keep hair shiny and healthy at all times which I think is the most important factor when caring for hair.
3. Improves blood circulation in the scalp
Massaging your head with coconut oils helps improve blood circulation which is crucial for hair growth. Improved blood circulation in the scalp allows for more oxygenated blood to be sent to your hair follicles. This stimulates further growth of hair on your head leaving you with long and shiny hair which is an admiration of many.
4. Supply of nutrients to the hair
Coconut oil is very rich in nutrients. It is loaded with antioxidants that keep your hair protected from infections. The oil has nutrients like vitamin K and E that play a crucial role in keeping hair soft and subtle. Minerals like iron the oil help fight dandruff keeping your scalp shiny and healthy.
5. Antibacterial properties that protect the hair and the scalp from infections
Bacteria, dandruff, and lice on your hair can be problematic affecting hair growth. Coconut plays a vital role in fighting all these through its antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. This keeps your hair and scalps healthy which is vital in maintaining healthy and shiny hair.
The list of benefits of coconut oil for hair is endless. Food grade coconut oil is completely safe to use at home without fear of any side effect. It is affordable and quite effective than most of the expensive hair care products in the market.
A practical guide on how to use coconut oil at home
How you use the coconut oil depends on with the intended benefit you want to achieve. You can use the oil for deep conditioning, as a daily hair detangler, to kill dandruff, for hair colouring or just to for keeping your hair healthy and shiny.
The first step is usually getting the raw organic oil. The oil should be raw without any additional ingredients. Ensure you have enough time before you apply the oil to your hair as it needs to be absorbed to work properly.
My personal favourite is this Virgin Coconut Oil for Hair from Second Glance Beauty, which is made from 100% pure unrefined coconuts and, in my view, is probably the best coconut oil for hair on the market.
You can wash your hair and let it dry for some minutes before starting to use the oil. The coconut oil comes at temperatures where it can melt at room temperature and good to use by rubbing with your palms. You can decide to heat it with the palms of your hands warm it gently over warm water before scooping 2-4 tablespoons of the oil depending on the status of your hair.
Slowly massage the oil into your hair using your fingertips. Massage the oil repeatedly ensuring you work it to all the way down to your hair follicles.
Start from the end and work the oil all the way to the roots. You can work the tangles with a comb as you get the oil to the root.
Cover your head
You have to let the oil some minutes to do its magic. Cover your hair with a shower cap or towel and leave it for at least 30 minutes or overnight for an extensive hair conditioning. There is no need to rinse as the oil is all natural and will keep nourishing your hair.
How often can I use the coconut oil?
Coconut oil is completely safe and will not have any harmful side effects on your hair. You can use it weekly or after two weeks depending on how well your hair responds to it. The longer you keep the oil in your hair, the more conditioned it will be.
You may be worried that, especially if you have oily hair, using coconut oil will make your hair look greasy. Actually it does the opposite, as it is so good and nourishing for the scalp.
If you have normal hair then you can happily use a deeply moisturising coconut oil treatment once a week, or even more often if you find that you get good results.
Those with coarse, dry hair may not notice such great results, so feel free to use it less often – or not at all if you don’t find it helpful (coarser haired types often see good benefits from Argon oil).
If you have an allergy to coconut in any form then you should not use it on your hair, no matter what.
What are some home recipes using coconut oil for hair?
Your most simple and easy recipe is to warm some coconut oil between your hands, rub it well into your scalp and massage to the ends of your hair. This will give it a boost of moisture and nutrients, and leave it silky soft and shiny. But if you are feeling more adventurous, here are a few more home recipes using coconut oil for hair:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp olive oil, 3 drops peppermint oil. Combine the ingredients in a bowl, then apply to the hair, working deeply into the roots. Cove the hair with a shower cap, cling film or a warm towel, then leave for up to half an hour. Rinse and shampoo as normal.
- 2 tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp honey, 1/2 a lemon. Combine the oil and honey, then squeeze the juice form the lemon and add this too. Apply to your hair, then allow it to sit for 30 minutes before rinsing and shampooing. This recipe is great for blonde hair, as the lemon juice will lighten your natural tones too!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, 1 tbsp shea butter, 1 tsp Argon oil, 5 drops peppermint oil. Melt the coconut oil and shea butter in a double boiler (or a bowl placed in a pan of hot water). Off the heat, add the other oils. Beat the mixture with a fork or hand blender until it is light and fluffy, then apply to your hair. Cover it and let it sit for 30 minutes, then rinse and shampoo as normal.
Why do people like so much coconut oil for hair?
As well as being good for the body, coconut oil is amazing for our hair too. It contains a good source of medium chain fatty acids, and it has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties too. Using coconut oil for hair has a great many things to recommend it, including:
- Improves damaged hair. Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, and has a low molecular weight, meaning that its goodness can easily get into the hair shaft.
- Prevents dandruff. One of the causes of dandruff is a dry scalp, so applying a product that is highly moisturising can get rid of this problem.
- Good for dry hair. Some products marketed for dry hair can be harsh, and can exacerbate the conditions they are trying to treat. Coconut oil is gentle and natural, and so is perfect for those with dry hair.
- Nit treatment. If you have picked up some unwanted creepy crawlies but you don’t want to cover your hair with chemicals to get rid of them, coconut oil can help. Simply apply to the hair then comb through with a nit comb, and leave the oil to sit on the head, preferably wrapped in a towel overnight.
Coconut oil is also purported to help reduce thinning hair, and even to help hair grow longer. We don’t want to suggest that this superfood is the end of all your hair woes – but as it is totally natural then there’s no harm in trying!