Dandruff is a common problem, and one that can massively affect your confidence and self esteem. It’s not your fault; it’s not caused by poor personal hygiene or not washing your hair enough – dandruff is caused by a multitude of reasons, from having a dry scalp to autoimmune disorders. Luckily, there is a solution out there, in the form of the best anti dandruff shampoo.
What causes dandruff?
Dandruff can caused by your scalp producing excess oil,which turns into those little snowy flakes as it dries. It can also be caused by having an excessively dry scalp, and by some skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
Your dandruff problem can also be caused by a sensitivity to hair products, so as much as you may want to wash your hair more to get rid of it, this will not help.
Diseases that affect the nervous system, such as Parkinson’s, can increase the risk of dandruff.
Teens and young adults are more likely to be affected by dandruff, due to changes in hormones- but this does not mean you are safe once you hit a certain age!
How to get rid of dandruff
There are a great many remedies out there that claim to be a miracle cure for your dandruff, as well as a wealth of home remedies that you can try to sort out your problem. These may or may not work, and can lead to frustration!
I’m not saying it’s worth having a look online to see how cider vinegar, coconut oil or eggs might be able to cure your dandruff, but your best bet is to find a really good anti dandruff shampoo – these are designed and formulated especially to help dandruff sufferers, so they are often proven and have many testimonies to their effectiveness.
How do anti dandruff shampoos help?
These shampoos are designed to control the oil production of your scalp, and offer a moisturising boost to prevent any dryness.
They are gentle shampoos, as Sulphates and chemicals can greatly exacerbate the problem of dandruff, so you will find them to be kind to your hair and won’t cause any damage or drying issues.
Many anti dandruff shampoos also contain added ingredients to nourish and condition your hair as well as treat the problem.
Best Anti Dandruff Shampoo reviews
When hunting for the best anti dandruff shampoo, you are looking for an effective product that is affordable, does what it says on the tin, and preferably one that smells nice. We have taken the hard work out of your search, and have narrowed down the best products on the internet:
1. Nizoral Anti Dandruff Shampoo Review
This shampoo is serious about treating dandruff. It contains a proven medical ingredient designed to remove the causes of dandruff as well as to treat the flaky, itchy symptoms. It takes very little time to get to work, though you might have to wait around a fortnight to see real results, if you have a long term, chronic problem.
What we like about it:
- It is highly effective, which is what you are looking for in a dedicated anti dandruff shampoo. The active ingredient is Ketoconazole, which has been clinically proven to fight dandruff.
- Treats a wide range of causes of dandruff, from stress and cold weather, to Seborrheic Dermatitis. Whatever the cause of your dandruff, you can treat it with this shampoo.
- Removes the unpleasant side effects of dandruff too, like a red itchy scalp and inflammation.
- Can be used as a maintenance wash once you have got rid of your dandruff. If you use this product every couple of weeks after the initial problem has been cleared up, you will manage to keep on top of your dandruff and prevent it recurring.
- Suitable for sensitive skin. Although this product is highly effective, it is also gentle on the hair and scalp so it an be used by anyone.
2. Faith In Nature Anti Dandruff Shampoo, Lemon & Tea Tree Review
This is a very natural, gentle shampoo that is suitable for removing dandruff and its causes, as well as for everyday washing. It will leave your hair smooth and shiny, at the same time as getting rid of irritating dandruff flakes. This product is suitable for those who have occasional dandruff or a low level case of constant flakes or itching.
What we like about it:
- It is an all natural, very gentle shampoo. There are no added harsh chemicals with this one, and it is specially formulated to be kind to your scalp as well as to the environment.
- Contains essential oils. Oils have been used for centuries to treat various conditions, and this shampoo contains Tea Tree and Lemon for strong cleansing and an uplifting scent.
- Suitable for all hair types. Whether your locks lean towards the oily side of the spectrum or the excessively dry, this product can help maintain a glorious natural health and shine.
- Free from Parabens and SLS. These chemicals can be harmful to your hair, so it is sensible to find a product that doesn’t contain them, especially if you have hair that is prone to damage and issues already.
- Suitable for vegans. This is a product which is not tested on animals, and does not contain any animal derived ingredients.
3. Neutrogena Therapeutic Shampoo Review
This medicated shampoo is specially designed to fight dandruff, as well as the side effects such as itching, flaking and inflammation. It is made by a company that specialises in treating skin conditions, so you can be sure that it is designed to treat your specific problem effectively.
What we like about it:
- Contains coal tar, which is an age old remedy used for treating dandruff. Coal tar has been used for many years to treat dandruff and its causes, and it is a relatively natural ingredient that will not harm your hair or skin.
- It has a small price tag. Although you’d probably pay just about anything to control your dandruff problem, it’s nice to know there are products out there which won’t break the bank.
- Controls itching. If you are a long term sufferer, you will be well aware of the irritating itchiness that comes with this condition. This shampoo calms the inflammation and soothes the itch, and will bring welcome relief.
- Can be used as a treatment and a maintenance. You can use this product intensively to get rid of your dandruff problem, then wash your hair with it on a weekly or fortnightly basis, to keep the flakes at bay.
- Can treat occasional dandruff, as well as longer term conditions. Whether your condition is caused by Seborrheic Dermatitis, Psoriasis or stress or weather conditions, this product can help you.
4. L’Oreal Professional Serie Expert Zinc Pyrithione Instant Clear Shampoo Review
This is a company well known for its hair care strategies, so you can be sure that they will have developed a good strategy for combating dandruff. This shampoo is ideal for those who suffer occasional dandruff, rather than those with a long term, chronic problem complete with an inflamed scalp and itchiness.
What we like about it:
- Leaves hair light and smooth. No need to worry about product build up with this product, and unlike some anti dandruff shampoos it won’t leave your hair looking greasy.
- A little goes a long way. Because you don’t have to use much of this shampoo at any one time, you should find that the product lasts you for a long time to come – and at 300ml it is a good sized bottle.
- Controls flakes and combats the causes in the long term. Using this shampoo at every wash will not only help clear your head of dandruff, but can also help remove the causes of dandruff so it will not recur.
- It has a pleasant smell. It is nice, when using a shampoo to treat a specific problem, to have it smell fresh too. This one has a light fragrance which will make your hair smell fresh.
- Helps stop the itching that often comes with dandruff problems. Itching can be a real torment for dandruff sufferers, and this shampoo will do away with it and make you feel more comfortable.
5. The Body Shop Ginger Anti Dandruff Shampoo Review
The Body Shop is a well known cosmetic company that is renowned for its products. Its anti dandruff shampoo will go down in history! This product is gentle and kind to your scalp and hair, and will swiftly do away with dandruff. It contains natural ingredients to benefit the skin on your scalp and improve the overall condition of your hair as it gets rid of your flaky problem.
What we like about it:
- Contains natural, effective ingredients. Using Ginger, Willow extracts and Birch bark, this shampoo has sourced the most beneficial ingredients from nature that will do the job as well as being kind to your hair.
- Suitable for all hair types. This product is ideal for normal hair, or oily or dry, as well as coloured locks – whatever your hair type, you can benefit from this shampoo.
- Clears the flakes as well as being kind to the scalp. This shampoo will remove the active dandruff, as well as nourishing the scalp so that it doesn’t produce dandruff in the future.
- Comes in a large bottle. This shampoo is great value for money, as there is a lot of it, and as you don’t have to use too much at one time, it should last you for a good long while.
- Can be used with conditioner or standalone. You can follow this shampoo with its matching conditioner, or if you are not a fan of the conditioner then you can be sure that the shampoo will do the job as well as looking great.